Friday, September 12, 2008

If I had the freedom to do whatever I want ....

What is freedom ?
Ask the canary in the cage , the lone prisoner of war , an inmate of Alcatraz ....
Ask the poor unhappy housewife desperately trying to bring up her 5 kids , ask the old grandpa sitting on the road selling apples for a living , Ask the CEO of a successful company , who grinds away his hours in office - forgetful of his family , the college students in 12th std harassed by the thought of not getting the career they want , Ask your parents when they come home tired from work and ready to soothe you ruffled feelings and take care of your family and your problems ........
Ask Yourself . . . .
A million things come to my mind when I read that question - what a question - does anyone have that power to give us that wish ?
Loads of freetime , music and movies , spa treatments and infinite holidays , journey around the world , shopping like crazy - Plasma screen tv , a home theatre , a palace on my own private island , etc etc , giving away money to someone , building something grand , having my own business empire , and a thousand more things - too many to list here .......
But then a vivid picture flashes before my eyes - Do you want to know what I see ?
I see a quite little home offwhite in colour , hidden amongst the coconut and mango trees and a leechee tree in the frontyard . I see a small compound with an assortment of flowers and smells along the walkway to the door , and a homely living room when I enter . I see faces - one is lined with old age and wisdom unimaginable - He sits in his armchair in the living room - the first to wish me home , the other is half bald with huge nose grinding away and saving lives every second of his life - including mine :) , the other is either in the kitchen or in her bedroom - talking care of her house , her husband's work , her kids - always working ...... I see another face - small and youthful with all the cheerfulness and youth and happiness I remember seeing on my face a few years ago - which is still there - dreaming of the good times to come .. another face small too - taking care of my grandfather - helping him live life even after his wife .... and I hear and see more voices and faces - filled with laughter and kind words , lectures and advice , and above everything else in the world - I see Infinite Love .....


So if I had the freedom to do whatever I wanted in the world - I would give it away ... for like that canary in the cage , I love my home and my family ... I don't want that freedom

2 comments:

Gaurav said...

Nice post doc. Noble thoughts.

Vaibhav said...

Hi again!
Ok, I understand and appreciate your thoughts on freedom.
But off the top of my head, when I think of freedom, I think of a big palatial white house, with a Mac, a PS3, a LCD TV that is taller than me, a pool table in each room and a gi-normous gym attached to it(read palace)
My parents, and my family and my friends are all living with me in it