Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Daddy's Little Girl

There's a kid in you - always ..... that tiny part of your soul which you turn too - when you are feeling down , or hurt or scared , or when the stresses of adulthood get to you ... that part of you that makes you crawl under the sheets between mum and dad and snuggle up - just like you did at 6 yrs - except now you're 21 .... and at that point - that wonderful blissful feeling , that everything is going to be alright ...........

And at that point - all you childhood returns to you

Your dad flinging you up in the air - and you're sqealing - " higher baba - even higher !!!! "

Walking along the road next to your walker - insisting to your mum that you are ' grown up ' and ofcourse you don't need that navy blue walker printed with teddy bears anymore , only to realise that after 10 feet - you are rrreeaaallllyyy tired - ofcourse you were just 2 , so you crawl back in , buckle yourself up and let the world carry you around like a little princess :)

You trying to measure your height in the corridor of your house by lying on the floor , along the breadth of the path - only to realise that you've grown up - and stuck between two walls . If any kiddos are reading this - please dont try - its freaky . Let mommy or daddy measure you with a measuring tape instead .....

Skating on the floor of your house , by pouring water over the floor - I think almost every kid in the world knows this :)

Seeing a freshly painted white wall 10 by 10 feet - thinking its your very own drawing pad which daddy dearest made for you , so you and you sister - who happens to be a good 5 yrs elder to you [ she was 10 yrs old then ] spend 1/2 an hr with crayons - drawing the typical , triangular mountain ranges , 2 lines showing a river , a half sun between the 2 triangles and a house in the corner and the curvey V shaped crows ..... My parents didnt punish me then - that was the only time - they were too gobsmacked



Then you fastforward to junior college , where after a dentist appointment when you fainted due to too much anaesthetic - mommie just came , let you sleep with your head on her lap and drove you home ....



Then medical school - when the day before my very first university paper - I can shamelessly admit that I slept right between mom and dad - crawling in sometime during the night with my blanket and pillow - and it felt soooo good . I didnt tell this to my friends then because I found it embarassing , only to know later that they had done the same thing too - really !!!!



I hardly remember my dad being around a lot because when I was small - as a paediatrician - his life was pretty much nonexistent , so I remember seeing him in my grandparents room , sitting on the floor near my grandmom - and her massaging his hair with oil ... and I remember his face - He was feeling like a kid at that time too .... even though god knows how many lives he had saved that day , and preparing himself for more ...



So basically anytime you feel down and out , and the noise of the city actually seems to be getting to you for some weird reason , when you are too frustrated to walk to anywhere , and you are stressed , and you hate your boss for that pile of work , even though you know you want to work too , and the world just seems " Blah ! " just go to mom or dad , and rest you head on the pillow , and pamper yourself , and for get for those 15 - 20 minutes about how old you really are , and what you want to do but can't and all that stuff that gets to you and

Be A Kid Again - because its still there - Always ......



P.S. - Maybe one day , my son will record a hologramic blog titled " Mommy's Boy " and keep it away in some secret corner of his 1 mm diameter computer , or maybe he'll show it off to the world , when he's under stress like when he has exams coming up , like how I'm doing now - because I have third year mbbs univ exams in two weeks ...:)
But I know that , even at 40 when I am a mother of 2 kids , or when I am 70 and grandmother of 5 kiddos , I will still - sometimes - be Daddy's Little Girl .......



2 comments:

Gaurav said...

nice emotional post. Reminds one of the times when the were kids.
I remember slipping into my parents bed after watching a horror movie when i was a kid. i used to get scared and then sleep right next to mom.
you reminded me of some childhood days,

Aartee said...

i know - its cool to rememebr all that stuff